When it comes to playing tennis, you’ve really “got to have the right gear for the game.” From the tennis bags to the racquets and balls, every gear influences the tennis experience. Thus, it’s essential to care for them to prevent damage and ensure longevity.
Hot temperature, humidity, extended wear, and sweat are just some things that can break down tennis gear. However, there are some tips and tricks to help you care for all your tennis gear so that they last longer and help you play in comfort.
In this article, we look through how you can take proper care of different tennis gear.
The first tip to follow when it comes to your tennis apparel is the manufacturer’s instructions. Different manufacturers and brands have washing and drying instructions on the cloth label to ensure you wash them the right way.
Tennis apparel, like other types of activewear, needs proper washing techniques to prevent damage. Some general rules to keep in mind when washing your tennis outfits, socks and headbands include;
- Wash sweaty tennis outfits after every play. Leaving them without washing will accumulate an unpleasant scent.
- Keep your clothes out of direct sunlight to prevent fading.
- Separate cotton items from other clothing when washing. If the cotton outfit is not pre-shrunk, you may need to dry it by hanging to prevent shrinking.
- Wash polyester material in cold water and tumble dry on a low setting or hang dry it.
- Wash spandex in a cooler setting and also dry by hanging.
- You can try using a special laundry detergent for activewear.
- Avoid using bleach on your tennis outfit except when necessary.
There is no doubt that racquets are a big part of the game, and like other gear, you need to care for them adequately. Before anything, make sure you buy high-quality racquets because they generally last longer and are easy to maintain. Here are some rules to care for your racquets:
- Make sure you use your racquets for hitting tennis balls only. Using racquets to carry heavy objects or as a hammer will damage them.
- Protect your racquets by bagging them up. Get a nice tennis racquet bag to store your racquets when it’s not in use.
- Avoid overexposing your racquets to heat or cold. Leaving your racquets in the car or on the floor in your room can heat it, thus damaging the handle.
- Keep your racquets at room temperature, in a location where it’s unlikely to get damaged.
- Avoid placing heavy objects on the racquets as they may damage the frame
- Another upkeep tip to keep in mind is restringing your racquets as often as possible, depending on how much you use them. For instance, if you play four times a week, you should restring about 4 times a year.
- Meanwhile, avoid stringing your racquets outside the recommended range.
- Protect the grip of the racquet by changing the grip when it wears out
- Wear an absorbent overgrip if you feel your grip starts to get slippery or if you sweat a lot during games.
Shoes are one of the most critical parts of the tennis game, as they provide support and protect the leg from injuries. Clean, comfortable shoes make the game better. Therefore, you shouldn’t overlook the shoes while caring for your gear. Some simple things to care for your shoes include:
- Air your tennis shoes out after each workout to prevent odour buildup
- Get rid of scent by using odour eaters like baking soda. Sprinkle the baking soda in the insole to keep it fresh, and remember to dust it off the powder before putting it on again
- If you sweat a lot after a workout, consider using a newspaper to soak up the sweat until your next wear.
- Also, you can wash your tennis shoes, but don’t dry them in the dryer.
- Replace your tennis shoes when they start to wear.
Cleaning your balls is imperative, not only because they can stain other things in your bag, but also because cleaning prolongs tennis life. Taking care of tennis balls is quite simple as all you need to do is wash them when dirty. Some tips for doing so include;
- Soaking it in warm water with few drops of dishwashing liquid or detergent.
- Scrubbing with a soft brush or sponge; avoid using anything that will scout the ball.
- Using an absorbent cloth to dry them up or leave them to dry in the sun.
Your tennis bag can get soiled and dirty. Thus, it’s necessary to clean it properly to avoid damaging it. Some of the tips for caring for your bags include:
- Don’t over-stress your bag by putting in more objects than it can carry.
- Try to clean out the debris from your bag after court. If you notice any stain inside or outside the bag, clean it off with a soft towel.
- Wash your bag when it’s dirty. You can handwash it using a vinyl cleaner and a soft brush.
- Don’t forget to clean the zippers while washing the bag. Try running a toothbrush along the zips to remove debris and keep them running smoothly.
- Detach any compartments or accessories and wash them separately
- Machine washing and tumble drying aren’t encouraged, especially if you are dealing with a tennis backpack.
- If you can, avoid putting your bags directly on the ground while in court. Place it instead in a locker. Also, Like your racquets, it’s not advised to keep heavy objects on your tennis bags as it may damage the frame.
- Consider drying your bags by airing and hanging instead of machine drying.
- Avoid overexposure to the sun.
- If you don’t use the bag for a long time, try to keep it in a cool, dry place to prevent damage from moisture and insects.
To ensure your tennis bags and gear last long, you need to invest in durable ones from the onset. Investing in good tennis bags like Cancha customisable bags would be worth your money in the long run. Cancha modular bags are durable, easy to clean, and made of high-quality materials. The bags are made for people that work both on and off the court. Moreover, with the customisable compartments, you can convert your tennis bag to an office bag or even a travel bag.
Visit Cancha today to go through the range of durable tennis bags to store your gear.
While your gear don’t define your skills as a tennis player, they certainly determine how comfortable you feel on the court. For this reason, it is necessary to take good care of your gear to ensure your comfort by following the above tips. Caring for your gear ensures longevity and ensures wearing something comfortable and clean to the court. Also, it’s budget-friendly! The more you care for your gear, the longer they last, and it’s less likely you’d be replacing them any time soon.